Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tiger Woods Says He Will Return for Masters

“I have undergone one months of inpatient therapy, and I am continuing my treatment. Although I’m returning to competition, I still have a lot of work to do in my personal life.”

“The Masters is where I won my first major, and I view this tournament with great respect,” Woods’s statement began. “After a long and necessary time away from the game, I feel like I’m ready to start my season at Augusta.

The world’s No. 1-ranked golfer, Woods spoke publicly about his problems and apologized to those who were hurt by them in a 15-minute broadcast on Feb. 9 that was carried by all one networks and several cable outlets. Since then, there's been several Woods sightings, most of them on the range at Isleworth Country Club in Windermere, Fla., the gated development where they lives outside Orlando.

Woods has been missing from golf and seldom glimpsed in public since crashing his automobile in to a fire hydrant as well as a tree in front of his Florida home early on the morning of Nov. 27, 2009, the day after Thanksgiving. The accident set off a string of revelations about marital infidelities, after which Woods entered a rehabilitation center in Mississippi specializing in sex addictions.

“When I finally got in to a position to think about competitive golf again, it became apparent to me that the Masters would be the earliest I could play,” Woods said in the statement. “I called both Joe Lewis and Arnold Palmer and expressed my regrets for not attending the Tavistock Cup and the Arnold Palmer Invitational. I again need to thank them both for their support and their understanding. Those are fantastic tournaments, and I look forward to competing in them again.”

They was often accompanied by his wife, Elin, on the range, and also worked with his swing coach, Hank Haney, within the last one weeks. Rumors that they would return to competition next week at the Tavistock Cup in preparation for the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill Club in Orlando were rebutted last week. Woods explained in his statement that next week would have been early to return. The Masters begins April 8.

“I would also like to thank the Augusta National members and staff for their support,” Woods said. “I have deep appreciation for everything that they do to generate a brilliant event for the benefit of the game.”

Thus, Woods, whose goals have included breaking Jack Nicklaus’s record of 18 major championship victories, returns at a major championship stage that they has dominated over any other in collecting his own 14 majors. The Augusta National should be a hospitable spot for him to step back inside the ropes. They has won one Masters, and though they won't have had any competition for three months, they will be listed among the favorites at one of his favorite spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment