Friday, March 12, 2010

Vonn Wins 3rd Straight World Cup

They didn't must make her last run, but they raced anyway & won Friday's super-G to become the most accomplished U.S. skier with 33 World Cup victories, four over Bode Miller.

Lindsey Vonn already knew they was the best skier in the world for the third year in a row.

''I said 'Let's go for the American record,''' Vonn said. ''I'm so happy -- it is over, the season is over & I am ecstatic.'' Vonn captured her third straight overall World Cup title when rival & mate Maria Riesch completed out of the top three.

Vonn won the super-G on the Kandahar work in 1 minute, 19.30 seconds. Elisabeth Goergl of Austria was second in 1:19.46 & Nadia Styger of Switzerland took third. Vonn became the first woman to win seven straight overall titles since Petra Kronberger of Austria in 1990-92. They completed the season with a U.S.-record 11 wins, including three of four super-G races.

''I gave it all I had. I have nothing more,'' Vonn said. ''I am the most successful American ever, & I am very, very happy.'' Riesch was fourth & dropped 215 points behind Vonn -- much to make up with only four race left in the season.

''I am a small upset because I had nice race at the top but I made a mistake at the bottom, near the finish line,'' Riesch said. ''But I still have a chance for the slalom title tomorrow.'' Vonn said they would skip the slalom Saturday because ''my body is broken.''

''The last few years have gone well for me,'' Vonn said. ''I'm so happy everything went well for me this year. It is so hard to say whether you'll be able to win the overall title. Vonn capped a season that included a gold medal in the downhill & bronze in the super-G at the Vancouver Olympics. ''To stand here in the finish & have a title in my hand is so rewarding.''

No comments:

Post a Comment